Monday, July 13, 2009

Read Steph's Other Space...

...be the first to know because I've been harping on the pig flu for quite some time. I think some day history will vindicate me as someone a little ahead of their time versus a silly, alarmist, hypochondriacal housewife (don't think I can't read minds as well!)

Seriously, the only reason I sincerely believe that we must study history and teach it to our children is so we can learn from our ancestors' trials and tribulations (and mistakes, don't ever forget the mistakes!) So the whole point to my ramble here today is that you should get a flu shot ASAP and don't underestimate the pig flu (ie: take it seriously!) And buy gold... the stock market still has a long way to tumble.

Love ya, mean it!

3 comments:

Tom said...

No, don't take your money out of the stock market now. The one thing you can count on in this life is people's greed, and that greed will one day drive the stock market back above its current losses.

Steph said...

Tom, I think you're just trying to protect your 401(K)! I kid, I kid. :P

No, seriously, I do tend to believe the Dow will dip down to about 6,000 (give or take a few points) before we ever get out of this mess. I will admit that it's hard to buy gold right now with the astronomical prices BUT I think gold is where it's at for the next few years. We're in such a mess, globally speaking. I think we're going to roll what's left of Plumberboy's "retirement" into some land and grow our own food. I'm not above stockpiling at this point! Now where do I buy some chicken finger seeds?

Tom said...

It's like gridlock on the interstate. If we just counted to three and everyone hit the gas at the same time, we'd be doing 70 in no time. The stock market is the same way. Once consumer confidence hits some critical mass, things will get rolling. Until then, we can expect a lot more short-term ups and downs.

Like everyone else, my 401(k) has taken a hit, but you don't actually lose any money until you cash in your chips. Since I'm not looking to retire for a looong time, I can afford to let it ride out the market. If the Dow dips to 6000 in the next few years but ends up at 12000 ten years from now, then I'll be ahead.