Wednesday, July 15, 2009

These kind of stories so DO NOT help...(Updated)

Let's play a game where I recap the news stories I've seen so far today while you read along (so it's not really a game per se but it does sound like fun, doesn't it?):

Well, I think it's pretty common knowledge that my father was a policeman and I was raised accordingly. (I think I even remember that he occasionally received threats on his family, maybe? Feel free to clarify, P-Paw.) Anyway, what others deem "paranoid," I call "informed." I grew up knowing the world is not always such a wonderful place and I intend to empower my children with that same information. Point being, I always lock my doors, we have an alarm, yada yada, all of which is usually enough to ward away The Boogie Man but this story just blows all of that out of the water. I mean, what are you going to do if 8 armed ninjas bust down your door in broad daylight? That story bothers me on so many levels that I'm not sure if I should follow it closely in hopes of making some sense out of it or if I should just pretend it never happened since ignorance really is bliss. Do you remember this case in Idaho? Yeah, that bothered the crap outta me too because I do NOT need to hear about pedophiles with night vision goggles. But then I heard that the adults in that situation were meth users (who died with illegal drugs in their system) so I felt marginally better about my own ability to protect my children. But this case out of Pensacola? I just don't think I'm ever going to read anything that will make me feel better about my family's safety. In fact, I'd place a wager that Mr. Billings was probably armed himself and went down in a blaze of glory so it's not like I can cling to my guns, either. (However, I will cling to my "religion," Mr. Obama!) And working surveillance cameras covering both inside and outside the entire property? Wow, that's a family after my own heart but a lot of good it did them. The upside is that while the cameras didn't prevent the crime (which is always my ultimate goal), they dang sure make it an open-and-closed case for the DA. So I guess we should chalk up a small victory for the good guys and lock our doors anyway...

**Updated to say "DUH!"

PS: The 3rd major aviation crash in about as many months? And Southwest (who has been fined recently for not inspecting their planes and also happens to be the airline of choice for my in-laws)? Yeah, that ain't helping either, folks.

No comments: