Thursday, May 29, 2008

Do you know Juno?

As I sit here listening to the roar of a steam-cleaning machine (as it tries--hopefully not in vain-- to return my now pink carpet to its original golden khaki form), I figured I could at least blog to pass the time. I can't talk on the phone due to the noise and I can't really clean the house either as the cleaners are in the way. So blog it is, even though I still don't feel very inspired (will I ever?) So what requires very little by way of brainpower but might actually produce comments? Certainly not Sharon Stone and the dalai lama. Are you people ticked that I didn't capitalize the "d" and the "l"? Just curious. Shannon did post a comment, faithful as always, and guessed correctly to boot. Well, I've always wanted to discuss movies here and it appears there's no time like the present so here it goes. I've watched Juno three times in the past month or so. I can't bring myself to slip it back into its little Blockbuster envelope and send it back to the mother lode (I always thought it was "load"... you really do learn something new every day.) Anyway, Juno certainly isn't a movie to pattern your life after and there's plenty with which I fundamentally disagree (obviously) but I can't help myself... I loved that movie. First of all, it's hilarious. Like seriously, hilarious. And Ellen Page was genius in that role along with Jason Bateman (I kept waiting for Chris Hanson from Dateline to pop on screen during his scenes!) By the way, did any of you see Ellen Page on SNL? Apparently my sister thought she was fantabulous. So did I. And of course the way it all unfolded was overall pretty decent... and definitely sweet. It's one of those movies I could watch over and over. Like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Or Happy Gilmore. (Betcha thought it was Dear Sister, didn't ya?) Anyway, I recommend at least giving Juno a try. Hopefully that won't backfire on me the way Diary of a Mad Black Woman did. I still like that movie, I don't care what you all say.

Also on my list of recommendations (per our recent viewings): Dan in Real Life (highly recommended), August Rush, Becoming Jane, October Sky, and Reign Over Me. Nancy Drew was cute in a teeny bopper way. 27 Dresses was so-so as was PS: I Love You, which was actually kind of pathetic and the opposite of how I want to live my life or the legacy I want to leave behind. Deja Vu was oddly philosophical (did we talk about that already?!?) What about Sydney White? It was too cute and probably not even deserving of a PG-13 rating. It's sad how little I retain from our movie-watching... makes it feel like a big waste o' time. We have some good ones in our quiche (as we like to call it in our house) so maybe I'll have some more riveting reviews soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Juno and August Rush have both been sitting in my Netflix queue for weeks but there is apparently a long wait. Annoying. I really want to see both. I HATED PS I love you. I saw it at the dollar theater here for a girls night out. Nothing more depressing than thinking of Pat dying and sending me letters for a year. That and Hilary Swank just bothers me. We have the cheap plan and only get one movie at a time. But we have recently seen Pursuit of Happyness (loved it), Atonement ( I liked, Pat HATED), The Game Plan (Yes the Rock. It was kinda cute), License to Wed (I liked it, but then I have a soft spot for Jim for The Office), Charlie Wilson's War (just so so, BAD southern accents), and I too saw 27 dresses (another dollar theater girls night. I didn't really like it). Not sure how much time I'll have for movie watching for a while, but I will make time for Juno and August Rush whenever Netflix decides to send them.

Shannon said...

I'm SO glad to see someone else has an appreciation for Virginiaca besides me. I wish Ellen had done better on the accent, but oh well, it was still funny. Kudos to Kenan, he ALMOST made it through the whole thing without laughing at himself. He has a tendancy to do that a lot.

The best SNL skit I've seen for the past 3 seasons was the last one on Ashton Kutcher's latest episode. It was a skit in a strip club, and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Last I looked on NBC, it wasn't on there.

Stacy said...

Sorry for taking so long to read these blogs. Too much going on lately :)

I REALLY wanna see Juno. I'll make note of your other recs.

So, how's the carpet??