Saturday, February 28, 2009

A word to the wise...

Hi all... I just wanted to give you readers a quick yet vague update regarding a situation you may notice is unfolding (ever so slightly) here at Steph's Other Space. A woman has contacted me regarding the Siran Stacy post and she has commented on several of the posts below. I have since edited her comments only to remove her name and have otherwise left the comments untouched, though they have obviously reposted under my name. Due to the very sensitive nature of this issue, I'm not going to say much here but I wanted to reassure you that this is no ploy or joke in an attempt to pump a little drama into this humble blog. I. Hate. Drama.

Secondly (and might I add in a very motherly tone), please take this lesson to heart in your own blogosphere. I know it's quite humorous how protective I am of my family's true identity but this woman reaching out to me only serves to reaffirm my position on the matter. You never know who is reading your blog and I think most of us would be shocked to see how very easy it is to find personal information on the internet. My father recently emailed me a picture of our house that he found online via Google Earth. Believe me, it's out there for the taking so essentially anyone could very easily (at no charge!) get directions that would lead them directly to your doorstep. It's never too late to retrofit your blog for these dangers... just go in and delete everything with any sort of indentifying information, including the titles you give to uploaded pics. I would also add a somewhat anonymous email address to your blog because usually you have identifying information tagged to an account. Obviously people will still find you if they are really hell-bent on it but please don't make it easy for them!

Anyway, I'm done lecturing for now. But eat your veggies and wear your seatbelt. Oh, and heed the tornado sirens. :)

No comments: