Tuesday, August 26, 2008

History lesson for the day:

Did you know the Star-Spangled Banner as originally written by Francis Scott Key has four stanzas? I have to admit that I didn't either (oh come on! You did NOT know that!)--at least not until today when I was looking over a book for Ricky Bobby to read as homework. I liked what I read so much that I decided to give it some much-needed props here on Steph's Other Space. Pop quiz later this week! :)

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Francis Scott Key, 1814

No comments: