Monday, October 13, 2008

Back by... (aghast!) popular demand?

So, I know it's been a little slow here lately and my apologies to my one fan. You see, I just got the sweetest email from a friend of mine that was chock full of blogging encouragement. And to be honest, it couldn't have come at a better time. (So much so that it makes me wonder if my dear sister put her up to it since she has probably grown weary of my blogging complaints...) Regardless, that email was a much-needed shot in the arm propelling me back into the great blogosphere. It wasn't that I ever, ever blogged just for all the mad props I envisioned receiving (hey bloggers... don't we all?!?! We are, in fact, a needy bunch.) But I do have to admit that I have a hard time finding-- shall we say--motivation when it appears on the surface that my only readers are my parents and my sister plus my husband when he is sufficiently guilted. Because let's face it, it's easier to just pick up the phone and have a conversation with any one of those people than it is to compose my thoughts, spellcheck my thoughts, and then publish my thoughts out there where everyone in the English-speaking (ok, reading) world can critique them. Not that they do, mind you. But you know, they could if they so choose and that leaves me feeling a wee bit vulnerable. Believe me, I've come a long way in letting people read anything I've ever attached my name to. I even hated for my teachers to read it and then (gasp!) use their nifty red pen to junk it all up. But even that didn't bother me all that much because A) it was probably written at the breakfast table a mere hour before it was due and B) it was about the state of Pennsylvania or Edgar Allan Poe (not that there's anything wrong with that... it's just not near and dear to my heart.) So to actually discuss (ok, type) politics or--even riskier-- college football is quite a stretch for me. And if you were to sneak a peek at my daily to-do list, you would see that blogging just isn't and can't (hello tyranny of the urgent!) be near the top. That's why it has been mucho easier-o to just rant to my husband as of late than actually sit down at the ole desktop and pound out a post. And I'm sure that's why it's probably always easier for you, the reader, to just glance at my posts without leaving a comment or even so much as CLICKING TWO LITTLE, ITTY BITTY TIMES to vote in my latest poll (not bitter or anything) so I totally understand. But you'd be surprised at what a little "CHOMP" here and a "hi" there would do for a girl like me and her humble blog...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Gator guy ought to do a double chomp this week!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog! Even comment from time to time.

h said...

Boy were you right about LSU. I hadn't seen them this year and bought the hype that they were as good as last year.

If you visit my blog on Mute Mondays, you'll prolly pick up some additional readers. Mostly Southerners.

It's a Meme but small enough so most of the players hit every blog.

Steph said...

I should clarify that my dad, mom, and Lacey are all immune from any commenting complaints I have ever made. Lacey, you got quadruple brownie points for "sparring" with me over the sex ed thing. No one else would even remotely touch that topic (even though I could see them lurking via my blog meter!) My sister is also usually a great commenter but she is banished to the land of dial-up right now so she's exempt. Stacie is currently riding a long-term exemption but I'm pretty sure she has good internet access right now. But I also know she'd rather eat live worms than discuss football this season. Shannon has always been a good commenter but I think she has suffered some computer issues as of late as well. JoDe, Tom, Lori, and Skye are also excluding from this conversation. The Troll has now also found himself in my good commenting graces (I'm sure he was holding his breath.) My problem is not so much readership as it is those who visit this site regularly but never, ever take the time to say hi or otherwise comment on some hot button issue, despite the option for complete anonymity. There is NO WAY they don't have an opinion. I'm a big girl and I assure them I can handle it. I'm just sayin'... Thanks especially to p-paw, lacey, and the troll though. Preciate ya!

Steph said...

PS: Troll, I totally had to google "meme" and I'm still not 100% sure I understand. Thanks for the advice though. I still don't even understand how you found me but I'm glad you've sniffed around here a couple of times.

Haynes Our Way said...

Glad to read I have an exemption for a while. Even if my team was undefeated, I refuse to discuss football with you. Always have. I believe that is how our friendship has survived all these years. Fortunately for me, I have had zero opportunities to watch any football let alone my beloved Tigers. Insurance is my life for the next year or so (oh and two sick little girls) I have internet but my time to check/read/leave comments is slim to none. However, prior to our lightening strike, I think I left comments fairly frequently.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back in the "blogosphere" again! I got a few chuckles tonight from your comments.

Steph said...

Stacie, I do hope you find time this season to watch a little football or do SOMETHING enjoyable outside of dealing with insurance. We will watch your girls or something for you if you need a break. You can't deal with all of that 24/7... it's too much for any human to deal with! Insurance will make you bonkers! Hopefully you are making progress with everything. Again, you have a long-term exemption from commenting here unless you so desire. It will not be held against you!

Anonymous said...

well you made me feel bad for being a lurker on your page so I will comment to help keep your blogging confidence up. Although I never recall discussion or debates a problem with you in Ms. Hammonds class in high school. Oh dreaded was the mornings when we got sent to the other side of the room!!

Shannon said...

Hi!

Still here, computer function is well. Obviously I didn't vote because I'm not an Aubie - so I'm exempt.

Steph said...

Hello Mary... blast from the past!!! Glad you de-lurked to say hello since I had NO IDEA that you were reading. Don't be a stranger!

PS: Seriously, the only thing I vividly remember from Hammonds' class is watching Sybil. Oh the horror! I'm still scarred... no pun intended.

Stacy said...

Look at you! :)

It wasn't me, by the way. I haven't said anything to anybody about your blogging woes!

Thanks for the exemption. Man, dial-up REALLY makes blog-reading & commenting a rare treat.

The Latham Family said...

Do I qualify for an exemption since I was the one who sent the e mail? It's okay, you don't have to exempt me, I just wanted everyone to know that I'M THE ONE WHO WAS CHOCK FULL OF BLOGGING ENCOURAGEMENT. That makes me very proud.

Steph said...

You SHOULD be proud... encouragement is definitely one of your spiritual gifts! You always had nice things to say about my outfits at R,S,J & G too (unlike Mr. Jeff Blitz!) You definitely get an exemption but I'd love to hear your comments from time to time on the issues. That would be GOOD STUFF!