Friday, September 26, 2008

Clarification

Okay, I enjoy reading Kevin Scarbinsky's articles (more than most Bama fans I presume) and while I'm not particularly offended by today's edition, I had to make a quick clarification before I can start my day--which consists almost entirely of unfun, grownup-type things (cleaning, working, cleaning, handling paperwork, and then cleaning some more.) Anyway, back to Scarbinsky. He reminded/chided us Bama fans that we shouldn't look down on the Dawgs and their frivilous "blackout" because we too have stooped to such tactics. His rationale? That in 2006 we commemorated The Bear's 315th win by wearing houndstooth trim around the collar of our jerseys. Okay, I was there that day so let me clarify. I can only assume that there was actually houndstooth trim on those jerseys that day because you could not see it. That's right, there was no discernible difference to the naked eye (it was all of 2mm in thickness--tops--and it wasn't big gaudy houndstooth... think less Fran Drescher and more Armani.) So it's not like they strolled out in some Walmart-lookin' jersey or something (readers of Gump4heisman will get that reference). And our opponent that day? Ole Miss. I assure you, it's not like we were wearing those jerseys for motivation. Anyhoo-- whether it's right, wrong, or indifferent, Georgia only manages to pump up the opposition with such silly tactics. (I know, cue obnoxious UGA fan pointing to their 2-0 record in Tha Jerseys.) Now when they "blacked out" Auburn, there were rumors swirling about the impending doom but UGA slyly warmed up in their usual home red jerseys. Then in embarrassingly new money style, they reentered the field of play at kickoff in their hallowed black jerseys (can't remember... did they rip off the red jerseys ala WWF?) Next they wore them against Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. Huh? I can't believe there wasn't an outcry over "cheapening" those jerseys by wearing them in the Sugar Bowl where the winner takes what? 3rd place at best? Now Georgia has gotten a little big for their silver britches and has taken to announcing a week in advance that they will once again don the black jersey. Should that strike fear in the hearts of their opponents? I mean, at this point they seem to have worn the black jerseys more than the red. The way I see it, that just makes this whole thing cheesy and I would be muy peeved if I was a UGA fan. I personally come from the school of "actin' like you've been there before" (Because we--uh--have.) I know, I know, I like Mark Richt (I think that's the general consensus on the guy), but for the love of all that is pure in football, I hope the fundamentals win this game... and then do the cupid shuffle in the endzone on the sideline. :)



Happy Friday!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Has anyone at Georgia considered that wearing black jerseys during a night game will make it easier for JP to see his receivers dressed in white? At least with the red and white uniforms they could try to make it more confusing.

Steph said...

Now Tom, you know better than that! This is Mark Richt we're talking about... recruiting guru and all-around-good-guy but coaching extraordinaire he is not. You speak of this thing they call "fundamentals" while he speaks of these things called "blackouts" and panders to his players (and easily-led fans. Sorry Randee and other dear, sweet UGA fans... love ya come November!) And while me likes to look at Mark Richt, it's all the more fun when he's not so smug. You should apply for a job there, though I fear you are woefully overqualified. Hope you and your family got to enjoy that one!

Steph said...

PS: That cupid shuffle is sweeter than evah! Roll Tide, suckas (think I said that already... oh well! It's MY blog!)