Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Humpday Halfbacking (because it's not Monday anymore and halfbacking goes with humpday better than quarterbacking)

So this pretty much sums up what I think about our win (singular). That's right--despite new Sports Illustrated covers, endless ESPN coverage, and the usual fan hype, UA's Saturday night beatdown of Clemson equaled only one win. As Saban said, we could still go 1-11. Do I think we will? Not a chance... well, maybe a miniscule one. But I do think it's legit to say this team has a different attitude than version 20.07. If you read the SI article, you'll see that may have something to do with a little Urban Meyer-esque gooble-dee-goo but I suspect it's got more to do with a good old-fashioned, four-letter word: W-O-R-K. Saban is notorious for out-working his opponents on the playing field, on the recruiting trail, heck probably even in the coal mines back in the day. But here's the key...I think he's finally convinced a bunch of kids born in the 90s that what Bear Bryant said back in their parents' (or grandparents'?!?!) day is as true now as it was then. That is, "The price of victory is high... but so are the rewards." Me thinks the big (BIG!) win on Saturday night was a mighty good lesson they won't soon be forgetting. And as much-maligned as Saban was for saying it (out loud, into a mike, at a press conference no less), I think the loss to Lousiana-Monroe taught them just as valuable of a lesson. We'll see what they look like on Saturday night. I for one am very eager.

Other things I thought about after watching (and re-watching) the game this weekend as well as the wall-to-wall ESPNU coverage:

1. Kirk Herbstreit seemed geniunely awe-struck by Alabama. You know, kinda like me some redneck fan at a game with seats close to the locker room tunnel. He was all wide-eyed and emphatic. Brent Musburger did his best to rain on the parade but eventually no one could deny that a: Herbstreit was right about Bama's dominating performance and b: Herbstreit, for all else he may lack, knows his football (he predicted an outright upset of VT by East Carolina and Bowling Green over Pitt). Of course, it's all very possible that Kirky boy was just hopped up on something.

2. I had forgotten how ridiculous that Clemson tiger looks. (Random incidental info: I get hits here several times a week because of my link to that tiger picture. Why are people so interested? Have to see it to believe it?) While I can truly appreciate Coach Bowden's willingness to do just about anything to turn their season around, I think they should start with that mascot. No one, including their own players, can take them seriously with that thing lurking on the sidelines. The fake 1970s-stuffed-animal-quality plastic eyeballs and completely unacceptable disproportionately small head do not represent their school well... at all. And PS Mr. "Tiger", I can see your neck flap. Tuck it in!!!

3. Another magazine cover?!?! I know, I know. Us Bammers will buy anything by the truckload so long as you slap an official logo on it so it's good business. Still, I can't help but wonder how many of our rivals are sick of seeing us everywhere they turn? I bet half of them have canceled their SI subscriptions! Here's to hoping they're not building us up just to watch us fall...

4. Poor Julio Jones. It's obvious in some of Saban's press conferences that at least one of the freshmen are feeling the pressure to be super, maybe even our next--oops, make that our first--Heisman trophy winner. Hey Julio, not saying it's you or anything but if so, don't worry about it! We're prouder of rings (think Sugar and Orange bowl, not Georgia Dome) than we are statues. You're new here so I'll clue you in, not having that trophy on campus is actually a weird source of pride for our fan base. It means we're more about team and less about individuals. Besides, it's awarded by a bunch of yankees!

5. I would like to go to the UA-Georgia game in Athens. Feel free to hook a sistah up. I will pay face value and of course, give you a shout out here on Steph's Other Space... which is, in fact, priceless. Holla!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know I have checked your Blog twice today and no updates.