Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Much ado about something...

Well, it's a little (lot!) hectic around here today but I hated to not check in here two days in a row even though there's a zillion other things that need tending to. Anyway, I'm not sure where I should begin. There's always something political to talk about these days along with the way we're gettin' hosed at the pump (oil under a hundred bucks a barrel does not four dollars a gallon make!) but really all I have on tap that is even mildly entertaining is my thoughts/ponderations from Saturday's UA-WKU game. So without further ado (can you believe I worked "ado" into my blog twice--make that three--times?!? Apparently it's technically "without further adieu" but it appears that "ado" is quite acceptable in today's English-American vernacular. So there you go... plus that's technically four times now, seven counting the alternate spelling...see below.)
Okay, truly without any further ado/adieu...

1. From the 3rd level of the west (old) upper deck of Bryant-Denny Stadium, John Parker Wilson appears to be wearing saddle shoes. I'm sure it's some combination of athletic tape and black cleats but the thought makes me chuckle. You know, I just have a mental image of the grand poobah of Bama Bangs prancing around out there in saddle shoes... and that's funny. If I squint real hard, his pants look like they are made from seersucker.

2. Apparently, Western Kentucky University borrowed their mascot from the local blood bank. Believe me, it's even less impressive in person. But apparently he/she is famous!

3. After a conspicuous absence, the guys in the PA booth finally gave us a little Dixieland Delight this weekend. It was even more awesome than usually because my yankee (seriously yankee) MIL heed-and-hawed right along with the rest of us.

4. Big Al actually crowd-surfed from the field of play all the way up to the top of the student section (um, 60 or 70 rows?) which may not sound like much until you stop to consider that he was in fact in the student section of the self-proclaimed drinking school with a football problem. At a night game. Sure, he was wearing a form of large protective head gear but that still deserves a medal for bravery or something. Or a free Denny dog (estimated value: $6--yes SIX! Apparently someone thinks the Crimson Nation is made of money.)

5. Some dweeb sat behind us and cheered obnoxiously enthusiastically for Julio Jones and Javier Arenas except that he pronounced it "Jew-leo" and "Jah-vee-air" all night. He cracked himself up and apparently it never got old to him. Me thinks he's not really a Bammer but rather another fan who lost a bet and, for some reason or another, it's taken him approximately six years (probably closer to seven) to make good on it.

6. Overall, our band is doing much better this year. They're more inclined to actually march off the field instead of scatter in a thousand different directions like little ants so they are slowly but surely making progress towards looking as good as they sound. And they sound dang good with their new repertoire too, which includes this. Sa-weet! (For the record, I did not sing all of Rammer Jammer this time because it seems like overkill for a Sunbelt conference team. I did chime in on "Give 'em hell Alabama". Just keepin' it real.)

Well, sorry folks, that's it for now. So what's all the "ado" in our household? Well, Ricky Bobby's birthday is tomorrow (8... say it ain't so!) and there's much preparation involved per our family traditions. Plus, Plumberboy is recovering from his trip to New York and our grass needs cutting, yada, yada. And then there's this:


Any guesses as to what this means?

PS: That's not me in the background.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

This dial-up I'm dealing with makes commenting a pain but I had to come online to say that you've been doing a fantastic job with recent posts!

And that little pooch is a darling! Can't wait to meet her!

Steph said...

Wow... can't believe you are the only one to comment on this after all that back-n-forth over dogs in the past. Either people really don't know what that picture means or I guess they no longer care.

And I agree... she is a darling! Let's hope she is as nice as she looks...

Anonymous said...

I'll comment . . . no, on second thought, I won't . . .

Steph said...

You're going to love her P-Paw... okay, maybe not but hopefully you'll be impressed with her great temperment! (The power of positive thinking!)

Shannon said...

Now I'm pretty sure when I read that post the first time, that picture wasn't on there. But congratulations! She's a cutie! Can we have a name contest, or do you already have a name picked out?