Tuesday, January 20, 2009

You lookin' at me???

Are you waiting for me to comment on today's historic events? Well, it is historic no matter your views on the candidate (read: don't listen to Rush Limbaugh...ever!) as it's only the 44th President in this country's history. That said, today is not the day to wax poetically about the future of our country. I'm sincerely happy that people perceive today as a huge step forward in the ongoing civil rights movement but I won't deny I'd much (much!) rather see the likes of Condoleeza Rice, Alan Keyes, or perhaps even Montgomery's own native son Artur Davis taking that oath today. I too have a dream that one day all people (political candidates most definitely included) will be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. So I guess that's it for me today (and for who knows how long because it's a never-ending job being a mom!) Bless God America and may God be with President Obama as well as his fellow Americans.

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
Romans 13:1

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every president to this day has been elected by the color of his skin...a white man. You are an idiot.

Anonymous said...

Every president to this day has been elected by the color of his skin...a white man. You are an idiot.

Steph said...

Thanks, anonymous. I truly take to heart insults hurled at me behind a cloak of anonymity. I didn't realize that wishing people were valued for their essential being and not their cosmetic appearance was such a controversial sentiment.

Anonymous said...

AHH Steph, I expected more. I came to your blog this morning to see what you had to say because I wanted to send you a note on facebook from a very intelligent friend but not before I read your blog. I will do it anyway I think you might like it.

Have a great day!


Holly

Steph said...

Sorry to disappoint you all if you were looking for an intriguing discourse. You did get really, really funny pics from the day's events so doesn't that count for something? Probably not. And in an attempt at full disclosure, there's probably a lot more goofy pics and videos in the forseeable future so check back here at your own risk. I may consider taking requests though...

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph, I think anonymous is that little fat guy I spoke to at the 'Bama vs Georgia game a few years back . . . cute little booger ain't he?

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much I completely and totally agree with everything you said in this post. No one was "allowed" to bring up race until after Obama was elected, and then that was ALL anyone talked about. Obama has been referred to over and over again as a black man, but his mother was a white woman. He could just as easily be called a white man, and have his father's ethnicity disregarded. But that wouldn't have made history. To me that's proof that we still have a long way to go in overcoming racism in this country.

Steph said...

My take on racism is that it will always be a part of this society BUT it's a part of every society. If we all honestly and openly studied some other places in the world, we'd see that the US in 2009 is a much better place than most. Not that it's perfect but it could be worse. I do believe within a generation or so, there won't be nearly the consideration given to a person's racial makeup as there is now. I saw one guy on the news tear up over the thought that his kids wouldn't understand what a big deal it was and that made him happy. Me too. I wish there was some way for me to eloquently convey how little race is an issue for me. I know as a child I have said some dumb things and really there is no excuse other than youthful stupidity but me as a 30-year-old woman could not care less about someone's physical appearance. Now someone's character and behavior are a whole different matter.

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't sound racist - that wasn't the point I was trying to make. My main point was that I wish Obama's race was as much of a non-issue now as it was before the night he won the election.