Thursday, January 31, 2008

Matters of the Heart

Okay, I know I posted about Crabman's heart issues already but I didn't go into the nuts and bolts of his condition. I also know this will not interest 99.9% of you readers BUT I wanted to throw in a few key words on this blog in hopes of targeting those who might be searching the net for similar conditions (such as neonatal lupus, neonatal pericardial effusion, right-sided congestive heart failure at birth, neonatal cardiomyopathy, yucky ducky NICU stays.) The rest of you should feel free to browse the remainder of Steph's Other Space until you find something that interests you. Those of you who have found this blog because of an internet search on this topic, PLEASE EMAIL ME (stephsotherspace@gmail.com)! I will be happy to convey any information I've obtained through years of my own research and personal experiences. If you know a child affected by neonatal lupus syndrome, please check out this site also. There's so much information on that site and I can personally attest to the expertise (and astonishing compassion) of the physicians who head up the Research Registry for Neonatal Lupus.

Okay, well that takes care of New Year's Resolution #23.

Next up is a story that I know I will not do justice to so please be patient as multiple edits may be needed to get the story straight (hopefully my sister and parents will throw in their two cents...hint, hint!) I read this story today and immediately thought of my dad. (Those of you who have known our family for years are probably familiar with this story already.) You see, my dad was once rushed from the stands of Neyland Stadium and across that familiar white and orange checkerboard field to UT's University Hospital for chest pains. Yes, as in they thought he was having a heart attack... at the football game. Apparently he jumped up, arms stretched over his head (I assume in an "it's good" kinda way) after the game-winning kick. However, he quickly felt something pull in his chest and sort of doubled over. I think he scared all the people around him, who summoned security and eventually a stretcher, medics, the whole 9 yards so to speak. Once at the hospital, the doctors ran tests and determined he had strained a chest muscle. The details in my brain are a little fuzzy because I wasn't there (didn't start going to games until 1992) and in the end he was a-okay which is really all that mattered. Besides, "The Heart Attack Game" is so much funnier than "The Chest Muscle Strain Game." I think there's even a news clip somewhere at my parents' house from a local TV station that somehow got a hold of this story but don't hold your breath waiting for us to digitally convert it and upload it to youtube. Maybe I can get my mom to scan a picture of my dad with his full-blown afro. You know, just so you have a visual and whatnot.

Wow, when you couple this with my "Baby Almost Born at Legion Field" story, it seems as though our family may have a football problem. You are laughing with us, right? Roll.Tide.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

GREAT POST :)

How is it that a video from 1990 can look so OLD?

Yeah, there's a problem somewhere...