Tuesday, January 1, 2008

They're losers!

First of all, Happy New Year! Hopefully you are enjoying your first day of 2008. That year just doesn't seem right, does it?

Anyway, in addition to football we've been watching The Biggest Loser Couples Edition in our house tonight. I'm so glad we'll have at least one show to watch during this incredibly drawn-out writer's strike. Hopefully Losers will take us all the way into So You Think You Can Dance in May. With all the other things going on (and the incredibly drawn-out house renovations) we don't need more than one show to watch anyway. And don't let my taste in TV scare you away... I can't engross myself in anything too intellectually stimulating or thought-provoking at this point in my life. Kudos to those of you who find the time... I truly love TV (and ironically have time to watch TV during the day, which is the exact time that every mediator/wannabe-judge show, soap opera, and Jerry Springer episode airs) but I also require about 9 hours of sleep a night so something's gotta give. And I can honestly say it won't ever be sleep--at least by choice.

So back to the Losers... this is the first time we've watched a season from the first episode. We always enjoy watching from about the halfway point onwards but this time there are (if you saw it tonight then you know this is coming) former Alabama football players as contestants. Roger Shultz and Trent Patterson were o-linemen a while back but more than anything I remember "Shultzy" from his AM sports talk show. I used to listen every morning on my drive to the courthouse for an entire year (UGH!) However, I think I'd be diggin' the show anyway without Roger and Trent. So far they aren't even a big part of the show and I am still--dare I say--intrigued. I am really rooting for the exes to reconcile and I teared up when she discussed her miscarriages in the past. Good stuff so far. And of course we LOVE seeing the transformations by the end of the show, even if we didn't catch an episode all season. Those folks are such an inspiration (sounds like I'm being cheesy but I promise you I'm sincere) and its cool to see them transform their lives. I always feel guilty watching it though because I feel like I deserve to be obese every bit as much as the next guy (more so?) and meanwhile, I personally know folks that work so hard and still look like they would qualify for the show. It's definitely not fair... Oh yeah, "Sami Brady" is so much more likeable than her DOOL persona and is far better than Caroline Rhea. Sami seems so pretty, too... me thinks she may have had some work though, no?

Okay, so some quick football talk... I doubt anything will be etched in my memory from this bowl season. I know it's not over yet so there's still hope but so far it just seems like an extension of the regular season. That was definitely vintage Bama ball the other night. No, not Rose Bowl vintage... I wish..HA! Eh, at least they won I suppose but I don't feel optimistic going into 2008. I will pull my hair (or at least a hair) out if JPW comes out of fall practices on the 1st string. I do wish I had a blog last year after the 2007 Fiesta Bowl though. Man, that was literally the best college game I'd ever seen. Obviously, it didn't mean anything to me personally (hello, Boise State and Oklahoma!) but it was an absolutely unbelievable game. If you didn't catch it live (it was well after 1 AM by the time it was done if my memories don't fail me) or if you lived under a rock for the following month, do yourself a humongous favor and watch them discuss last year's game ad nauseum tomorrow night. That game had everything... trickery, a victorious underdog, a friggin' marriage proposal. It was the best game evah and I had no one to share it with as my husband and boys were deep in REM by then and my dad was 50 miles away. Our dogs tuned in briefly at the mention of a flea-flicker but quickly lost interest and went back to sleep (couple of bums). Well, I've got to hit the showers myself and then get to that 9 hours I so desperately need. Good night!

No comments: