Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Naked mole rats, who knew?

I'll kick it off with this so that's what kind of day it's going to be here at Steph's Other Space. Guess who is not immune to pain? Me, that's who. Better than your local weather wizard, I can assure it is going to rain in my neck of the woods today. Not that I'm complaining about the rain but I could do without all the aches and cracklin'. Anyway, I know you're not just here for naked mole rats and weather reports so without further ado...

1. I couldn't embed this but there was no way I wasn't including it in my discussion about Sam's Club, the original Stuffmart. Rhododendron trees? Check. Wrap-around deck? Well, not exactly but does a large gazebo count? Okay, now before I even make this next statement, let me acknowledge that I am a simpleton... not exactly a bumpkin but definitely a simpleton. (Sorry to steal your commentary thunder.) Anyway, I found Sam's quite overwhelming. There's just STUFF everywhere. Good stuff. Big-ticket stuff. Expensive yet reasonable stuff. There was a bedroom suite, laminate flooring, the aforementioned gazebo, an electric Razor four-wheeler, a nearly life-size oil portrait of UGA VI. I could have easily dropped 10Gs in there the other day. I did manage to "escape" with just over $100 in stuff, most of it edible. I thought Walmart's cover charge was high (30 bucks--maybe 40 with inflation) but there's no way I'll ever get out of Stuffmart--er, Sam's-- for under $100. You know what I didn't purchase from Sam's? Toilet paper. It turns out they don't carry our particular brand of toilet paper and much like little Ricky Bobby, I am quite picky. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with Sam's. Though the hot dogs are large and the fountain Coke oh so refreshing, it felt like I was cheating on Walmart. And their prices are okay but I don't think I can throw a party with my leftover savings. Or even buy that shiny Razor four-wheeler. The frozen food selection is definitely worth the trip but our deep freezer is only so big. And I only eat frozen foods so often. Not to mention, whatever is good and whatever is pure about Sam's is negated by the fact that THEY DON'T BAG YOUR STUFF. Thanks for the heads-up, readers. Color me stupified as they loaded my stuff into an empty grocery cart. After a quick scan of the other Sam's Club members and their carts, I figured asking for bags was about like asking for baked beans at Dreamland. In other words, it ain't gonna happen and you'll just look stupid for asking. And all this time I thought I hated plastic bags. Turns out they come in pretty handy...learn something new everyday I suppose. Somebody please tell me Costco bags... preferably with paper.

2. I know everyone who comes here just loves The Patriots, right? Regardless, Wes Welker is the man. He's basically The Rudy of the NFL. Except that he's good... really good. Hopefully I'll have more to say on this subject in a few days but I think this is it for now. And for goodness' sake, The Packers are out of it so let's just root for The Pats now, 'kay? Thanks.

3. Okay, so if you live anywhere in the Great State of Alabama and so much as browse the papers, it was hard to miss all the articles marking the 25th anniversary of Bryant's death. I know, I know. Most of you are not *ahem* Bammers. But please, if you've got the time, scan a few of those articles. Bryant is not just the lingering ghost of football past, he was a historical figure and genuinely a unique (in a good way) man. Look, Bama won 6 national championships without Bryant so clearly his winning ways were not all of his mystique. I think now more than ever, it's hard to find coaches who preach accountability, discipline, and hard work. Bryant (if he knew Jesus) was probably happy he died before he had to witness what college football has become. I don't know that he would be as successful now because it's impossible to fill your rosters with quality men. Anyway, you can read about his historical significance here and here and some Bryant memories here (I love Mike McQueen's quote!). And while about every catchy saying under the crimson-colored sun is attributed to Bear Bryant, you can read some of his actual quotes here. And one last thing I found online (kudos to Mr. Gump4heisman for his original artwork.)

4. Because it's not all about football in T'town. Thought it was going to be about basketball, didn't ya? Sorry but I am woefully uneducated as to the 2008 UA Basketball team. But I do know they need free throw practice, lots and lots of free throw practice. And Ronald Steele.

5. Also if you live in Alabama or in any one of the 24 states holding primaries on Super Tuesday, you've got one week--seven days-- to decide on a candidate. I'll say this probably a hundred times between now and then but please, please VOTE. Take your kids with you and VOTE. If you love your grandparents, then VOTE and preserve the things they sacrificied for in WWII. If you love your kids, then VOTE to change the things that need changing in this country. That is all... for now.

6. Those freecreditreport.com commercials crack me. F-r-e-e that spells free, creditreport.com baby.



2 comments:

Shannon said...

The stuffmart video was unavailable, but we're very familiar with Madame Blueberry around here. Our favorite line of course, "Bungee, Wungee, Bungee, Wungee, Fungee, here we go bungee, c'mon!" About Sam's, I felt like we were the only folks who didn't go there already when we joined year before last. When our membership expired last fall, I didn't really care that much. The only things that I felt like we were saving money on was meat & cereal. And canned stuff. And toilet paper & paper towels. But that's it. And I always still had to go to Walmart for the stuff I didn't need a gallon of or a case of, ya know? We finally have a Costco now, but it's across town, so I won't be checking that out. I wouldn't have looked at you strange for asking for a bag, that was my thought at first check-out, too. And how annoying that you have to make 20 trips from the car into the house to get everything in.
Walmart RULZ!

Steph said...

I agree... WALMART RULES!