Monday, December 3, 2007

Internet down...

...but fortunately back up as of this minute. Usually net downtimes are no big deal because let's face it, I'm in all likelihood just killing time (as are those of you who read this blog) but today I was actually Christmas shopping online. I rarely shop online as it drives me nuts to pay shipping and handling (hubby is not the only "cheapskate" in the family I suppose) but today I decided there were a few things that were S&H-worthy. First, I ordered our Christmas cards online. These are always worth the online effort as the Walmart Photo Center (pick the location--any location, it doesn't matter--this statement applies to every single Walmart in America) is slow to the point of madness. And that's January-November. Once you flip that little calendar of yours to December, the Walmart Photo Center somehow morphs into the DMV or the concession stands in Bryant-Denny at halftime. Surely all of you readers have experienced this too. Anyhoo, I ordered plenty of cards this year so there won't be any last minute freak-outs as the pile grows dangerously low while the stress level is high. It's only taken me, ummm, like 7 years to figure this out. Then there were a few gifts that I could only find online so I decided I better order them before it gets any closer to Christmas morning. That one took me about 5 years to figure out. (Quick learner--Roll Tide!) So hopefully I'm nearing the end of my Christmas shopping. At least my husband (and our checkbook) hope so. I also tend to freak out every year that we won't have enough--like I'm stockpiling for World Word III or worse, Walmart going out of business--and then it's over in approximately 15.2 minutes and without fail the smallest, cheapest toy was the biggest hit. So with that in mind, I spent a lot of time on the $1 Target aisle.

So I have lots of things swimming around in my head but quite honestly, there's a lot of snot up there too so I'm not feeling 100%. I know it's just from running around and not getting enough rest but then I can't get enough rest because there's so much snot in my head and I can't breathe. Hello, Mr. Vicious Cycle. I'm starting to lose it I think but good news... it's kind of funny. I let our eldest son have a friend over Friday afternoon and when his dad went to drop the kid off, the little sister (who is only a year younger) looked like she might cry so I offered for her to stay. No big deal... only four kids for one afternoon (and hey, both my sister and sister-in-law LIVE WITH FIVE!), right? All was well until we started loading up the van with all these kiddos, turning off lights, locking the dogs up... but wait! Where the heck are the dogs? OH GOOD GRAVY! They are still at the groomers...on a Friday...at 5:30 PM. So I totally forgot my dogs at the groomers for the first time ever. At least it wasn't a kid, right?


Hopefully I'll have something more interesting to share later in the week. I have a folder full of random articles I've archived to share with you my dear readers, including one about a two-headed cat, but you'll have to wait at least another day. And that, my friend, is what they call a hook.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

And a good hook, at that!
I myself had 2 extras at my house Sunday, so I can totally empathize. I took them bowling for Jonathan's birthday (his 7th already!) and boy, was that an adventure! When we picked up one, his Dad told him, " OK, now you stay with Ms. Shannon. Don't run off, ok?" and I'm thinkin, gee, is he a flight risk? Better watch this one pretty close.
Break out the Vicks VapoRub, and get some rest! There's nothing worse than being sick, having to take care of sick kids, too.

Jenny said...

Hey, send me your address! (I guess over Myspace?)

Cute doggy pic.

Steph said...

That picture is courtesy of our 4-lb poodle, Cotton: The Smiling Dog