Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gettin' their hate on...

It's obvious by now that most everyone outside the "Sabanation" despises Nick Saban. Fair enough, I suppose. He's probably not the most likeable guy and it's also true that at least once in his life he was a bald-faced liar. But the outcry over his remarks yesterday is just ignorant. (FYI, I like Scarbinsky and usually enjoy his articles. Also, I'm not standing up for Saban because he is Alabama's coach. That's the truth, whether you want to believe it or not.) All I'm saying is that he did not imply that this loss was like 9/11 or Pearl Harbor. He did imply that change usually follows something catastrophic. Case in point: Saban said "Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event. It may be 9/11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to a catastrophic event." Inappropriate would go something like this: "Our team imploded just like them Twin Towers on 9/11" or "We're Alabama so we should have been able to sink ULM's ships just like the Japs did to us at Pearl Harbor" or "So help me God, I'm going to freakin' drop the A-bomb on this team like we did to those SOBs after Pearl Harbor." See the difference?

So he talked about some tragedies at a football-related press conference... at least he remembers 9/11 and Pearl Harbor. A quick viewing of Jay Leno's "Jay-walking" would show he's in the minority. People in this country need to care more about what we can do to prevent another 9/11 (hello Patriot Act!) and become a little less sensitive to people referencing 9/11. Now Ann Coulter was out of line with her 9/11 remarks--not Nick Saban-- but it seems people just like her a heckuva lot more than Saban.

And on a related note, word on the street is Saban's handlers will be asked to issue an apologetic statement tomorrow to the Rapers and Pillagers Alliance Against Defamation. Now I will give you this: Saban most definitely miscalculated when planning his speech to the team... I think he lost them at Pearl Harbor.

PS-- Brownie points for Saban in my book: He spanked his kids! :)

PPS--I couldn't have said it better myself! Seriously, I know I'll keep finding stuff here 'n there to add to this post but I'm officially cutting myself off from editing this post any further. Hopefully I'll get in one last football post before the Iron Bowl.

No comments: