Friday, November 2, 2007

Miscellaneous Thoughts

In other words, random ramblings from my mind as fast as I can type them out because I've got a gajillion things to do before we head out this weekend. But I do want to talk/type a little football because whether I like it or not (or a little bit of both), the season is winding down game-wise. Of course, the action is really only starting to heat up in T-town, as it does every November. I believe down in Auburn they call it the Amen Corner. So here's some of my thoughts on the topic, prepared as coherently as possible. First, did you see the VT-GT game last night? Does Virginia Tech ever play on Saturdays anymore? They are like the poster child for Thursday night college football. Their mascot should be Kirk Herbstreit or someone from ESPN because they are on the sidelines as much as their turkey on Thursday nights. Anyway, the only interesting part of the game I can remember is this. I hope for VT's sake that someone really did steal those jerseys and the equipment reject guy didn't forget those dudes' jerseys. Talk about a long walk back to Blacksburg. (Just FYI, everything in Virginia ends with a -burg.) Oh yeah, can't remember if I mentioned the Red Sox winning the World Series. GO SOX! That's about all I can muster because really I just don't care about baseball, especially MLB. But I've been to Fenway and all my in-laws are avid Sox fans. My father-in-law wears the "Now I can die in peace!" from the 2004 World Series. They've all been fans for-evah so I'm glad they are finally reaping the rewards. That reminds me that I don't think I've mentioned this before "officially" (though I was asked about this by a "reader"), but we're big Pats fans around, as in the New England Patriots, as in the Belichick-Brady machine. My husband still has his old Patriots posters--you know, the kind you used to be embarassed to hang. Now they seem unstoppable. I think they might go undefeated this year (shouldn't say that before the big Colts game, sorry hon!) and make the Dolphins fans feel even worse. Now speaking of the Dolphins... isn't that the fan base that should hate us?!?! Have they even won a game this year? Suddenly Saban's season last year isn't looking like such a blemish on his record seeing as Miami can't do anything this year it seems. Hey, didn't we loan y'all Bear Bryant once? Oh, he stood you up? Yikes, sorry about that too. It's not like we ever did anything to y'all's "Bear Bryant" Don Shula. WHAT? We canned his son? Yow-za! Moving on, moving on people... isn't there anything else we can talk about? Anyone else out there who hates Alabama? LSWho? No, no, seriously. I'm not going to engage in idle name-calling. They have a great coach in Less Miles and he should be committed commended. There's so much out there, I really wouldn't know where to begin. I've had a lot of people (two) ask me my take on the game. Obviously, they are a good team with lots and lots of fo-real talent. I think we can hang with them but it'll be close if not a blow-out on their part. It pains me to think about them coming in and winning but I think it's a distinct possibility. But like I've said before, no true Alabama ever expects to lose a game so I'm expecting a win... I'm just not betting on it. And as someone funny once said, Coach Miles is a "dunce of destiny" so I can only hope his luck is up by tomorrow. As far as the emotions go, LSU fans are unbelievable. Like truly, truly outrageous. Don't take that as a compliment. I don't even know why they hate Saban so much. HELLO! He didn't leave LSU for Bama. He went to the NFL then wanted out of the NFL and they didn't have a vacancy. And quite honestly, probably not enough ponies in the stable to ante up if you catch my drift. We made a power play and got the best coach we felt was available. He didn't lie to LSU (again, sorry Phins!) so what's their problem? I hate that Saban came to us the way he did and he did handle it wrong but again, what's that got to do with LSU? They would look a lot less pathetic if they didn't care about it and that goes for their coach too. I don't think it's hard to understand why he wanted to leave Baton Rouge? Did anyone see The Waterboy? (Not the funniest clip but the only one without curse words.) But basically, if you want to get your hate on then let's do it. I'll be there! (Note to self: stop by bank and withdraw enough cash to post misdemeanor bail.) Roll Tide! I won an ice-cold Coca Cola on that game!

PS-- Besides, after Saban wins two rings at Bama then it will feel like home!

PPS- Here's the side of randomness you ordered: I once wrote a paper on Guevara and just find this amusing. Can't you just imagine him looking up at that auction with some giant WASP of a man auctioning off his hair?!?!

No comments: