Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A honest-to-goodness break from the topic of football (AKA: Where do worms come from?)

I went to the Thanksgiving program at Ricky Bobby's school this morning and during the clean-up afterwards I noticed that his desk was packed with junk. Obviously, being a good nosey mom, I started trying to sort through all the trash, important papers, etc. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon three books crammed into his little cubby, most notably one that was entitled Does a Worm Have a Girlfriend? I'm not going to go into great detail but you can read a sample page here. (True story: That is the exact page Ricky Bobby quickly flipped to and proudly showed me this morning.) Okay, now I purposely don't write much about my kids here on the blog but--as it pertains to this story--I will say that Ricky Bobby is an extremely proficient reader. There is no doubt he can pronounce every single word in that book and if given the opportunity, he may attempt to google and/or use wikipedia to further research the subject. (I'm not kidding... he knew how to use wikipedia in 1st grade.) Now his teacher does not "teach" this subject and I'm sure 99% of the other 2nd graders wouldn't understand most of the words so I'm not upset per se about these latest developments. Shocked would be more like it. Shocked that he found this book interesting enough to stash away in his desk and shocked that he's concurrently (not to mention undeniably, obviously) smitten with a real live girl at school. For once I'm actually praying that my blog is rather hard to find so that her sweet parents don't ever stumble across this post! It would certainly mark the end of their "relationship." Anyway, considering the things I have discussed here before, I find all of this rather ironic. Now I guess I get to add "Discussing reproductive habits of animals with my 2nd grader and how this relates to God's plan for our lives" to my Thanksgiving To-Do list. Yup, there it is... right between "Clean House" and "Stuff turkey." Fannnnnntastic!

PS: G-Jo and P-Paw... no need to comment! :)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Well, I hope you don't feel like you're the only one who has to deal with those type issues. I was really thrilled the other day when Jonathan became absolutely enthralled with a NatGeo special on badgers in the Kalahari. But then, of course, they have to cover the reproductive aspects of their lives. No segway, no warning, just go straight from watching a badger catch a cobra to getting humped! I could feel my face getting red as I quickly searched for the remote....

Stacy said...

I have an age-appropriate book recommendation written for Christian families. The book is on my shelf and I'm too lazy to get up but I'll try to email that to you soon :)