Monday, November 3, 2008

Nose to face: "What did I ever do to you?"

Well, T-minus 24 hours and tickin' away. Most folks seem to rejoice over the very thought that as of Wednesday, the campaigns will be over (duly noted that the election may not be decided by that time) but I personally would like to see it go on and on indefinitely because as it stands now, I think I'll be saddened by the results when this all shakes out. Yes, contrary to my gut instincts back in the summer, I now believe our country will make the wrong choice. It appears we've been bamboozled, seduced by a promise of "change" even though we all know that change just for the sake of change benefits no one. (I liken it to cutting off your nose to spite your face, hence the title.) And it's not like anyone out there can really tell us exactly what Obama will change (because he truly has no specific plan) but I suppose it's change nonetheless by virtue of his race and age. Congrats, America... you're about to get exactly what you've asked for.

Speaking of change, surely even I think we need some sort of change in this country, don't I? Actually I do and here's what I'd like to see happen (though realistically I know there's a much better chance that pigs will change their feet to wings and fly!)

The economy:
Remember the catchphrase from the 92 Presidential race "It's the economy, stupid!"? It was only after the 1st Bush lost his bid for reelection that he seemed to realize people cared more about the economy than anything else and it cost him the election. Well, I believe 2008's version would go something like this "Hey economists! It's us, stupid!" This time both candidates know that money (or lack thereof) talks so no one is overlooking the economic crises we face. However, I'd like to point out that this time, it's our fault... not the President, not Congress, not even greedy corporate CEOs. It's our fault for getting in over our collective head financially and insisting that a McMansion was in fact a constitutional right. Or at least a cellphone with unlimited texting. Take this challenge... while sitting at your computer, look to your left and then look to your right. Do either of the houses (or co-workers if you're at work) live within their means? I bet 95% said "no." That's a problem. That's the problem. And now we've elected representatives to Congress that also spend like drunken sailors. McCain pledges to halt all nonessential government spending until he can take both a "scalpel and a hatchet" to government spending. Meanwhile Barack Obama clearly believes in a bigger role for government in our everyday lives and that costs money, folks...money we don't have. I'd like to see the free market sort this whole thing out but it would be painful... extremely painful. We would likely suffer a recession/depression unrivaled since the Great Depression but eventually it would work itself out. I'm not advocating doing away with any of the current social services we have but why throw hundreds upon hundreds of billions of dollars in buyouts on top of our national deficit? Besides, both candidates voted for the $700B buyout, just FYI. Obama's big spending plans looks like more of the same administration if you ask me, except at least some of it will go to extremely liberal social causes. Watch the stocks nosedive if/when Obama wins... Wall Street does not want an Obama White House.

The combat theaters in Iraq and Afghanistan:
I don't know that "war" is the most appropriate term for various reasons, not the least of which is I actually have a degree from studying such events and the current situations in Iraq and Afghanistan look more like a soccer game gone bad than a "war" in the historical sense. I would bang my head against the wall (literally) if I was forced to think about how little people actually understand the world we live in and its collective history. Plus, every good historian knows you cannot judge current events and their success or failures until years (think decades, centuries!) later. I've always believed that Iraq was "conquered" more for its location than anything else. History may smile on this conquest someday far in the future but who knows if any of us will be around for me to say "I told ya so." Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually believe it was about oil? Anyway, I was talking with an Army Ranger yesterday who has served two tours, one in Afghanistan and one in Iraq, and even suffered some injuries when his Humvee was hit by an IED. Guess who he's voting for? It's not Obama, I'll tell you that much, and a majority of his comrades feel the same way. I'll always defer to the guys and gals who actually put their life on the line for our country.

National security:
Do I even need to discuss this? Even Joe Biden knows John McCain would be better for our national security than Barack Obama. Just a sidenote, I think service in one of the branches of military ought to be a requirement for presidential candidacy. Everyone likes to compare Barack Obama to John Kennedy but I think McCain is much more similar to JFK. Who do you think towed an injured soldier to shore clenching the guy's lifejacket in his teeth as he waded through dark enemy waters? Here's a clue... it wasn't Barack Obama. But it wasn't Maverick-in-Residence John McCain either. It was JFK. People seem to forget that before he was a dead President, he was a war hero. Character is everything and war has quite the brutal way of revealing true character. I'd say McCain is battle-tested, wouldn't you. Besides, he's almost assassination-proof... can anything kill that old bird?!?!

Bipartisanship:
If ever there was a need for this country to come together to tackle tough issues, it's got to be now. McCain has proven he has the ability to get things done on both sides of the aisle (ie: The Gang of 12 and McCain-Feingold) and will most definitely fill his cabinet with trusted advisers regardless of their political affiliation. Joe Lieberman was his first choice as a running mate. Joe Biden has spoken in this campaign of his fondness for John McCain. Does anyone really think Obama could close the gap in a similar fashion? Or that he would want to? Jeremiah Wright offering up the invocation at his inauguration would be a bad place to start. (Google to see who prayed with him seconds before he too the stage to officially announced his candidacy in Illinois.... or don't. You know it was Wright.)

Taxes:
Obama will raise them and McCain might too, but only one seems to think that's the right thing to do and it's not McCain. I'm all about paying my fair share in taxes... I like our smooth roads, our able-bodied police forces, and a military with might like the world has never before seen. But I think we pay enough as it stands right now... we just need to cut spending and shore up the tax code. I'm all about a flat tax system of some sort but I only have a minor in economics (and even that's in paper only) so I can't begin to accurately explain a system that I would back. I think we as a nation need to "hold the rope" until we can elect someone who's serious about eviscerating the current tax code and initiating a much simpler system.

Anything else?
I'm sure I haven't changed anyone's mind but I do feel a little better. Actually, it's already been a pretty good day so far because our left-leaning neighbor across the street brought me his wife's absentee ballot today and asked me to sign as the 2nd witness. He knew I'd be leery because his house boasts no less than 3 Obama-Biden yard signs but he assured me that his wife's vote would cancel his. He was such a good sport about it and knew I would take great pleasure in signing a ballot that casts a vote for McCain. I wish all of us could be as neighborly about it as that exchange. I also wish none of us would ever take for granted the nonviolent transition of power we enjoy every 4 or 8 years in this country. I love, LOVE seeing the candidates shake hands and share a laugh after a debate. And while I believe with all my heart that Obama is not good for this country and downright deadly for the unborn, there is no reason for this campaign to escalate into something dangerous. We all need to take our licks, whatever they may be, and live to fight again in 4 years. Bless God, America!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awkward & uncomfortable do they look????

Steph said...

Yeah, Obama looks like he feels sorry for McCain and McCain just looks agitated that he's actually touching him!