Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Nada

*Editor's note: Happy Thanksgiving in advance! I can't believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving!?!? Such a shame it had to fall on Iron Bowl week and my grandma's birthday... :) This post will probably be it for the next few days so I hope you all have safe travels. May we all remember the things God has blessed us with over the past 365 days. He's certainly blessed me with too many things to name here (in fact, my mind can't even wrap itself around all the things He's done) so I'll close with the wise words of my facebook status: "I'm thankful to God for many things, not the least of which is being born a Bama fan."

So, there's just not much out there on the WWW to discuss here, at least not regarding the Iron Bowl. Nada. But out of respect to this game, I really don't want to discuss anything else here at Steph's Other Space for the rest of the week. :) Sometimes I get all philosophical and reflect on the season as its conclusion draws near but that would just look cocky. (And really, it's too early for all that. Bama is going to be playing in January.) Or I could analyze the Xs and Os of the upcoming matchup but that would just appear cocky too. I suspect most Auburn fans realize that their chances for a victory on Saturday are none too good but I know many believe there's still some Auburn mystique that will allow them to slay their Goliath in Tuscaloosa. (Don't you think The Tide has some mystique too?) Rest assured there will be plenty of time to talk smack here after the game for at least one of us, right? For now, I will be transparent and say that I will in fact be devastated if we lose on Saturday. Why even try to pretend that a loss wouldn't cut to the bone, especially one to Auburn of all people? The only upside would be extending Tuberville's tenure for at least another season. But for all the talk that Bama might be overlooking this game on Saturday, let me resoundingly and unequviocally deny that charge. You can bet that every Bama fan from Muscle Shoals to Mobile has waited years (approximately 6) for this day to roll around again. I for one will be in the stadium when it opens TWO HOURS before kickoff. (Seriously.)

On a somewhat related note...while I know this may touch off a heated comments mudslinging debate, I have often wanted to discuss a matter that is a firm foundation for my soapbox. I hear ad nauseum about a perceived classlessness or redneckedness or general poorsportsmanshipness that festers in Tuscaloosa so let me make a humble, hat-in-hand suggestion. Get in your vehicle on Saturday and drive yourself up to the Capstone and spend a day in Tuscaloosa. I say with a large degree of certainty that you will not encounter anything more than the usual SEC-caliber banter and perhaps a couple of drunk idiots that reside at any college football game on any given Saturday. We do not show up to the game in our top hats and white gloves but I assure you we--as a collective fan body-- do not behave anything like the enemy would have you believe. You see, I have traveled to many an away game to see my beloved Tide play so I can speak of such things. When I find that a fanbase in general does not ever really travel to see their team compete on the road-- thus they only experience football as a homer--then I find that their perspective is skewed to say the least. Do you know what I encountered last year at the Iron Bowl in a section far removed from the student haunts? A steady, 3-hour barrage of f-bombs and death threats (really more like death wishes preceded by f-bombs) that would have made Bear Bryant throw a punch. I behaved myself as best I could despite the insults being hurled no more than 5 inches from the back of my head because I was sitting in free tickets given to me by some of my dearest friends and I sincerely appreciated their generosity. (Just FYI, they are two of the nicest Aubos I've ever met and I can even say that she looks cute as a button in her Auburn gear so this is no reflection on them whatsoever.) It's true that the insult-hurlers were young, though not that young, so what really shocked me was the entire Auburn section's willingness to say--you guessed it--nada. You see, I've been to plenty of games both at home and on the road when Bama fans would actually *ahem* correct an out-of-line Bammer. It's what you should do, not only to show compassion for your fellow stadium-mate but to protect the reputation of your school. I have literally gone behind unruly (read: drunk!) Bammers on the road and picked up their trash, tossed it in a garbage can, and then apologized to the nearby home fans for their rude behavior. I do it all in hopes that someone might someday say "Gee, those Bama fans really aren't THE DEVIL like I was taught from infancy." It's a shame that on the many, many, many times I've participated in a non-home Iron Bowl game, I have not been shown the same courtesy. The point of all of this is that if you haven't shown up to see your team play on another's turf, I suggest you give it a try before hurling insults and one-liners galore at the other team for their perceived evils. You might be a tad bit surprised. In fact, I can't guarantee you won't be converted.

Anyway, I'll surmise what I'm trying to say with this... We're not overlooking this game and if emotions won the game, Auburn shouldn't even bother to show up. But if you read me regularly, you KNOW I don't believe emotions win games. You know what wins games. Either way, I wouldn't bet the farm against Bama, ya know?

ROLL. TIDE.

"Losing doesn't make me want to quit. It makes me want to fight that much harder." Bear Bryant

5 comments:

Haynes Our Way said...

Okay after this comment I'm done til well after football season. I took offense to this post. I mean seriously, jump off your high horse. Was this suppose to convince me that bammers are the most classy (or classy in any form) fans in college football? Well I'm so not convinced. Give me a break. As someone not born into this mess, I had to choose Auburn or Alabama. My family chose to cheer for Auburn simply to NOT cheer for Alabama because of how utterly ridiculous the fans are. And please, so you sat in a Auburn section (with free tickets from an Auburn fan mind you) and some people yelled f-bombs at you and no one stopped them. It's a rivalry game. The biggest rivalry game in college football(forget that Army/Navy game people try to claim as the biggest). Should I mention the time I was purposely tripped by a bammer at a game. How many bammer fans helped me up or said something to the person who did it. NADA but they did laugh. I could mention the LSU fan who through roadkill at me and my friends at a game. How many LSU fans came to our aid. NADA but they did laugh. Or the UGA fan who pushed me down and stood over me while barking after they beat us our freshman year. What did all the other UGA fans do. Laugh. I have several stories (including more from totally unclassy Alabama fans). But it's big football. Drunk people. Intense emotions. Old scores to settle. etc... I could tell bad fan stories from each and every SEC school (perhaps with exception of Kentucky and Vandy because #1 we don't play them often and #2 they don't bring big crowds). I know this is your blog and you and go on and on and on about how klassy bama fans are, but I lived in the state almost my entire life and I've been to enough Iron Bowls to very much so disagree with you. And since this is your blog to throw insults, I'll bow out til way after the season is over. I don't like reading negative things about a place I love. I can read funny things but mean things I don't enjoy. I've witnessed Auburn fans stick up to obnoxious to Auburn fans who were be rude to another team's fans and I've seen Auburn fans stick up for Auburn fans when another school's fans are being obnoxious to them. Every school has bad stories about another school's fans, ESPECIALLY big rivals. So you go on and worship your houndstooth hat and I'll stick to my happy cow college. I'll check back in with your blog in a few months. This post totally reminds me why I don't discuss football of any kind with you. So peace out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

WAR EAGLE

GO GATERS

Steph said...

I suppose it could be considered pointless to rebut the comment above but there is NO WAY on this planet I will let an unfair attack on what I was saying go unchecked. Stacie (who is a fine person outside of her Auburn bias) has NEVER EVER attended a game in Tuscaloosa, which is totally typical of an Aubo...speaking of things which they know nothing about. And since when does other fans behaving badly exempt the Auburn fans from common courtesy? I sincerely apologize for the Bama fan tripping you and absolutely would have done something about it had I been there (even Stacie could not disagree that I would have done so.) Note that I'm not arguing that you must be mistaken and your experience did not happen. Unlike some, I do not believe that my fellow UA fans are perfect. I rather simply stated that as a whole, our fanbase is not as evil as the propaganda suggests. And I assure all who read this, the "f-bomb" story from Jordan-Hare is one of many negative experiences that I could share on this blog. Besides, what they said (which I purposely and respectfully did not repeat here) is never, ever appropriate or dismissable. Also, did I not give credit where credit was due regarding the free tickets???

Perhaps I could share about my car being shoe-polished after an Alabama Iron Bowl loss, despite being safely parked in its own driveway 50 miles away? Some Auburn fans can dish it out all day long but cannot and will not take it. (Ironically, I found that most do not actually reside on The Plains.) I never intend for any of my football stories to cause personal offense to anyone but I've found that many (too many) Aubos expect everyone to be "politically correct" when referring to their beloved school. One could easily argue that it doesn't reflect well on your school but luckily for Auburn, not everyone in their fanbase is as sensitive and quick-to-forget as they may have been represented on this blog.

To everyone else, keep reading if you can stomach it. I'll be back with a post sometime Sunday win or lose.

Roll Tide to all and to all a good night...

1 Samuel 24:12

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hope this doesn't get personal! For what it is worth, F-bombs don't get dropped around me by 'Bama fans or opposing fans when my wife, daughter, or grandchildren are present. The reason . . . I don't allow it. I have been known to ask fans, both 'Bama fans and opposing fans, to kindly refrain from obscenities or find another place to sit. If they refuse, I ask a police officer to handle the matter. There is just no place for that around women and children . . . at least that's what I still believe.

Haynes Our Way said...

Okay, I did have full knowledge you would respond to my comment and I did fully intend on reading your response. I meant I'm out as far as reading any further posts where you are praising bama while bashing Auburn. You gave me a verse about judging others, but is that not what you are doing? You are putting you and your fan base on a pedestal and acting superior to others. I just wanted to point out your complete inaccurate statement. I HAVE been to a game in t-town. A game with you. Glad you remembered. I went with your family to an UA v Ole Miss game. I also went with your family to a practice one time and got dragged to the Bear Bryant worship center twice. So there. No part of either experience convinced me to be a bama fan. If fact I think it pushed me further in the other direction. There are tons of bama fans who have never been to a game at Auburn either, so that was a silly argument. You happen to live in Auburn (making it much easier to attend the game there) and I presume are surrounded by many Auburn fans. So if we are so awful, why don't you move? If we are so awful, why do we offer you free tickets? If we are so awful, why did you ask Pat to find you SEC tickets? If we are so awful, why talk to us at all? If we are so awful, why are you friends with any Auburn fans?You can have your own opinions, I've known you long enough to know you will have them. I do have an Auburn bias but you most certainly have a bama bias so can we not accept each other? I'm sure you have had bad experiences with Auburn fans. And Tennessee fans, and Florida fans, and LSU fans, etc.... Just like I've had many bad experiences with bama fans. It happens. That was my point. I refuse to believe that bama fans aren't cussing at Auburn fans. I refuse to believe it, because it's happened to me. Several times. I love me school. I love it a lot. But I do not worship my school. And if my current situation has taught me anything, it's to put my focus and my family's focus on The Lord and not worldly things. When you lose all your possessions, it really wakes you up to how much time, energy and money is put into worldly things. And football is a worldly thing. 90k aren't cheering for the Lord. I'm not saying everyone should give up football. If we had the money and means we would have season tickets, but we don't and that in no way makes us lesser fans of Auburn. It's just our life circumstances. I'm saying since we were unable to go to any games this year and have the current situation we have, I've just been able to sit back and observe how much time, energy and money people put into football season to be immediately followed by the holidays as another extravagance. And a lot of the energy used at football season is in the form of anger, jealousy, resentment, pride in your team, greed for victory/money, and mean spiritedness at other schools. I just think it's a waste. If just a little bit of that could be focused of God, a lot it this world could change. And I'm not in any way saying their are not any obnoxious Auburn fans, but there are most certainly obnoxious bama fans. Okay it's enough rambling. It's an argument that will have no happy ending. As a regular reader and commenter (and one of only if not the only Auburn fan who reads) I felt personally attacked and I felt I had to defend. All your other readers will be able to "stomach it" as you said, because they are bama fans and your family members(whom I love). You know I hate to argue and I'm not good at arguing. I don't like being attacked and I feel like you knew I would be the main (if not the only) Auburn fan reading this and some it was directly pointed at me to either make me argue (which I hate and you know it) or just be mean (so typical bama fan ;0)). I did consider it personal, that's why I won't read any more posts. I know y'all won the game. I'm sure you are happy. I'm happy you're happy, but not happy why you are happy. If any Auburn fans were mean to you at the game, I hope you threw out scripture to them instead of ignore them.

John 13:34-35

And again...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

WAR EAGLE

GO GATERS

Steph said...

No comment.